[libvirt] [libvirt-users] Virsh Attach Volume Fails

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Tue May 6 23:35:09 UTC 2014

On 05/06/2014 02:51 AM, Vilobh Meshram wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When trying to attach a created volume to an instance using the virsh utility I am running into this error :-
>

> [] $ sudo virsh attach-device instance-00000015 disk.xml
>
> error: Failed to attach device from disk.xml
>
> error: internal error unable to execute QEMU command '__com.redhat_drive_add': Device 'drive-virtio-disk21' could not be initialized

That's an error message from RHEL qemu, and not available from upstream
qemu nor triggered by upstream libvirt (that is, a RHEL-specific
downstream patch to libvirt is attempting to use a downstream qemu
command that upstream does not have).  Have you opened a support ticket
with Red Hat?

> For experimental purpose I have libvirt 0.10.2 and QEMU 0.12.1. The volume to be attached is on a remote storage.

This list is probably better suited to help if you can reproduce with
upstream versions (libvirt 1.2.4 and qemu 2.0), or at a bare minimum,
post the contents of disk.xml that is failing on you.  It's hard to say
whether the error is in libvirt (perhaps botched SELinux permissions
getting in the way?) or in qemu; but since libvirt is just parroting
qemu's error message, the investigation needs to look more at why qemu
is throwing the message.