[libvirt] RFC: Any interest in a weekly(?) dev community meeting ?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed May 21 09:30:18 UTC 2014

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 04:38:06PM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 05/16/2014 11:53 AM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>

> > If people think this is worth while I'd suggest an arbitrary time of
> > 1500 UTC using the #virt-meeting IRC channel on irc.oftc.net, to last an
> > absolute max of 1 hour. Currently this time point works out as
>
> Is this tied to true UTC (no daylight savings, so everyone living in a
> timezone with daylight savings has to adjust their local start time
> twice a year) or to a particular timezone (where some people always have
> the same local time, while other unlucky folks might have to adjust
> their own start time as many as 4 times a year because of differences
> between daylight savings cutoff points)?

Intended to be explicitly tied to UTC to minimize suffering as a whole.

> I'm definitely in favor of the idea.  However, in my personal situation,
> starting an hour earlier (1400 UTC) would fit a bit better for Thursday
> meetings.  That's because I generally try to attend Austin Group
> teleconferences [the standards body in charge of POSIX] which are also
> Thursdays currently at 1500 UTC (but tied to US daylight savings rules);
> and my close involvement with POSIX has come in handy for libvirt more
> than once.  I've got more flexibility if we pick a different day of the
> week.

Picking times sucks :-(  I picked 1500 UTC since it was the earliest
that is still practical for people in US West Coast, and almost the
latest that is still reasonable for Europeans. We could try to do an
hour earlier or later than this.

So, if we try 1 hour earlier, ie 1400 UTC, Thurs 22nd, does that work for
other people too ?