[libvirt] [libvirt-users] Host OS, Storage Info

Ainsworth, Thomas tainsworth at vsi-corp.com
Thu May 29 17:31:13 UTC 2014

Martin, et al,

Sorry for the lag in response.

So I started playing with the various virsh commands.  Awesome.
Been doing some reading and I believe I have some things configured not so
well.
As I stated earlier in the thread, we have all of the VM image files on one
RAID5.  Very fast machine.

When using top, the load average is a stable "5.xx".  No I/O wait. GB's of
free memory.  Swap has not been touched.
Using vmstat, I am writing to the RAID5 volume at a constant 150MB/s and
reading at a constant 275MB/s.

With all of that said, here are some results from virsh commands:

# virsh pool-list --all
Name                 State      Autostart
default              active     yes

# virsh pool-info default
Name:           default
UUID:            xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
State:          running
Persistent:     yes
Autostart:      yes
Capacity:       30.76 GiB
Allocation:     2.10 GiB
Available:      28.66 GiB

Now, is that ok to have all of the VM's using a default pool?
Or should a pool be created for each VM instance.
I honestly am not even sure what a pool references...?...

The more I read, the more I am moving away from thinking something in the
OS is the cause of my sluggishness.

Suggestions?

Many thanks in advance,

Tom