[libvirt] internal error: Cannot find suitable CPU model for given data

Matias Kreder mkreder at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 13:51:47 UTC 2014

Hello,

I am having troubles with libvirt on Fedora 21 alpha.

On virt-manager:

Unable to complete install: 'internal error: Cannot find suitable CPU
model for given data'

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 89, in cb_wrapper
    callback(asyncjob, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/create.py", line 1854, in do_install
    guest.start_install(meter=meter)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtinst/guest.py", line 411, in start_install
    noboot)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtinst/guest.py", line 475, in _create_guest
    dom = self.conn.createLinux(start_xml or final_xml, 0)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 3361, in
createLinux
    if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virDomainCreateLinux() failed',
conn=self)
libvirtError: internal error: Cannot find suitable CPU model for given data

On "systemctl status libvirtd" I can see:

Nov 04 10:23:41 lappie.mkeder.com libvirtd[3822]: Preferred CPU model
Westmere not allowed by hypervisor; closest supported model will be
used
Nov 04 10:23:41 lappie.mkeder.com libvirtd[3822]: internal error:
Cannot find suitable CPU model for given data

I can't create the VM using any CPU configuration on virt-manager.

Intel VT is enabled on the BIOS. This is a Lenovo Thinkpad t410 that I
got yesterday. CPU is Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU  M 520

[root at lappie matias]# virsh -r capabilities | grep model
      <model>Westmere</model>

I haven't tried Fedora 20 on it but I might re-install it soon. Just
wanted to give my feedback for Fedora 21.

[root at lappie matias]# rpm -q libvirt-daemon
libvirt-daemon-1.2.9-4.fc21.x86_64
[root at lappie matias]# rpm -q virt-manager
virt-manager-1.1.0-3.git310f6527.fc21.noarch

Doing a google search it seems that some people had the same problem a
few months ago and they solved but by updating. Seems to be some sort
of problem between libvirt and qemu-kvm.

Regards
Matias