[libvirt] lxc: shutdown $domain broken in libvirt 1.2.3

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Wed Sep 10 08:35:04 UTC 2014

On 09.09.2014 18:25, Steven Wilson wrote:
> We recently ran into libvirt lxc shutdown failing because of mount
> namespaces not being available:
>
> # virsh -c lxc:/// start test01
> Domain test01 started
>
> # virsh -c lxc:/// list
>   Id    Name                           State
>   9336  test01                         running
>
> # virsh -c lxc:/// shutdown test01
> error: Failed to shutdown domain test01
> error: Mount namespaces are not available on this platform: Function not
> implemented
>
> /var/log/libvirt/libvirtd.log:
> 2014-09-03 15:50:50.682+0000: 3030: error :
> virProcessRunInMountNamespace:999 : Mount namespaces are not available
> on this platform: Function not implemented
>
> We're running Debian wheezy with stock libc6 2.13-38, a custom 3.12.15
> kernel (with namespace support) and libvirt 1.2.3.

This may be the problem. Libvirt needs setns() syscall as of 1.2.2 which
may not exist in your custom kernel. Or maybe you have old
kernel-headers package so the libvirt's configure script doesn't see the
syscall.

> The patch in this previous thread fixes shutdown for us and we'd like to
> see it merged upstream:
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2014-May/msg00175.html

 From this it seems like glic is wrapping the syscall, so a glibc update
may solve the issue. If that's the case we may need to update our
libvirt.spec.in to reflect that.

Michal