[libvirt] Selective block device migration implementation

Pavel Boldin pboldin at mirantis.com
Wed Apr 15 14:38:33 UTC 2015

Michal,

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 10:54 AM, Michal Privoznik <mprivozn at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On 26.03.2015 15:48, Pavel Boldin wrote:
> > Dear Libvirt Developers,
> >

> > I'm working to implement feature request [1]. The feature request
> proposes
> > to enhance `libvirt' code so the API caller can specify which block
> devices
> > are to be migrated using e.g. parameters in the `virDomainMigrateToURI3'
> > call.
>
> Correct. My idea is to add pairs of typed parameters to the
> virDomainMigrate3() and virDomainMigrateToURI3() API. These are the only
> migrate APIs that accept virTypedParameter. The rest of migrate APIs are
> just too old and not extensible, so they must continue working as they
> are now. However, those two APIs - they can be passed new pairs, e.g.
> ("migrate_disk", "vda"). Now, mgmt applications will want to specify
> more than one disk to migrate, obviously. We have two options:
>
> 1) make "migrate_disk" accept stringyfied array of disk targets, e.g.
> "migrate_disk": "vda,vdb,sda". This is not so pleasant to work with from
> client applications. Constructing the string would be awful.

My concern was that some drivers may allow commas inside the drive names.
So this is obviously wrong thing to do then.

> 2) make virTypedParam* APIs accept more than one values to a key, e.g.
> {("migrate_disk", "vda"), ("migrate_disk", "vdb"), ("migrate_disk",
> "sda")}. Currently, this is supported on RPC, but some virTypedParam*
> APIs are not really prepared for this. If I had to name some from the
> top of my head: virTypedParamsGet().

As far as I see there is a line 420 in src/util/virtypedparam.c:
/* The following APIs are public and their signature may never change. */

So, the functions need to be implemented anew.

> I view virTyped* as an associative array. So 2) is practically enabling
> multi value associative array. So I guess the first step would be to
> introduce new API (maybe set of APIs?) that are aware of this.

I guess the first function to implement would be virTypedParamsGetNth()
that is able to retrieve nth parameter with that name.
While this is easy to implement there are details remain:

   1. Should we implement a new set of virTypedParamsGetNth<TYPE> for each
   of the TYPE or should we start with just the 'String'?
   2. Since virTypedParamsGet<TYPE> is just a virTypedParamsGetNth<TYPE>
   with N=0 should we make old functions just call new ones with N=0?

> Then, virDomainMigrate*3() can just use this in the following way:
>
> a) when no "migrate_disk" is specified, the current behaviour is preserved
>
> b) when there are some disk selected for storage migration, since at
> this point we have virTyped* APIs to work with multivalue, we can get
> the array of disk targets to migrate and instruct qemu to just migrate
> them.
>
> Now, qemu has split storage and internal state migration into two
> streams. The first one is called NBD and libvirt selectively choses
> disks to migrate. For the other stream you don't have to care about.
> Look at qemuMigrationDriveMirror() and you'll see how libvirt instructs
> qemu to selectively migrate only some disks. The "migrate_disk" array
> would need to be propagated down here then.

My concern is I would, most likely, have to backport these to our versions.

Pavel