[libvirt] [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/7] Live Migration with Pass-through Devices proposal

Dr. David Alan Gilbert dgilbert at redhat.com
Wed Apr 22 17:12:25 UTC 2015

* Daniel P. Berrange (berrange at redhat.com) wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 06:01:56PM +0100, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> > * Daniel P. Berrange (berrange at redhat.com) wrote:

> > > I'm not really clear on why libvirt/guest agent needs to be involved in this.
> > > I think configuration of networking is really something that must be left to
> > > the guest OS admin to control. I don't think the guest agent should be trying
> > > to reconfigure guest networking itself, as that is inevitably going to conflict
> > > with configuration attempted by things in the guest like NetworkManager or
> > > systemd-networkd.
> > >
> > > IOW, if you want to do this setup where the guest is given multiple NICs connected
> > > to the same host LAN, then I think we should just let the gues admin configure
> > > bonding in whatever manner they decide is best for their OS install.
> >
> > I disagree; there should be a way for the admin not to have to do this manually;
> > however it should interact well with existing management stuff.
> >
> > At the simplest, something that marks the two NICs in a discoverable way
> > so that they can be seen that they're part of a set;  with just that ID system
> > then an installer or setup tool can notice them and offer to put them into
> > a bond automatically; I'd assume it would be possible to add a rule somewhere
> > that said anything with the same ID would automatically be added to the bond.
>
> I didn't mean the admin would literally configure stuff manually. I really
> just meant that the guest OS itself should decide how it is done, whether
> NetworkManager magically does the right thing, or the person building the
> cloud disk image provides a magic udev rule, or $something else. I just
> don't think that the QEMU guest agent should be involved, as that will
> definitely trample all over other things that manage networking in the
> guest.

OK, good, that's about the same level I was at.

> I could see this being solved in the cloud disk images by using
> cloud-init metadata to mark the NICs as being in a set, or perhaps there
> is some magic you could define in SMBIOS tables, or something else again.
> A cloud-init based solution wouldn't need any QEMU work, but an SMBIOS
> solution might.

Would either of these work with hotplug though?   I guess as the VM starts
off with the pair of NICs, then when you remove one and add it back after
migration then you don't need any more information added; so yes
cloud-init or SMBIOS would do it.  (I was thinking SMBIOS stuff
in the way that you get device/slot numbering that NIC naming is sometimes based
off).

What about if we hot-add a new NIC later on (not during migration);
a normal hot-add of a NIC now turns into a hot-add of two new NICs; how
do we pass the information at hot-add time to provide that?

Dave

--
Dr. David Alan Gilbert / dgilbert at redhat.com / Manchester, UK