[libvirt] mass create vm errors

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Mon Aug 3 07:01:19 UTC 2015

On 18.07.2015 10:29, Vasiliy Tolstov wrote:
> Hi again =). I have another problem then testing libvirt with massive vm start:
> 2015-07-18 08:25:21.687+0000: 36893: error : qemuMonitorIO:750 :
> internal error: early end of file from monitor: possible problem:
> 2015-07-18T08:25:21.586487Z qemu-system-x86_64: -vnc [::]:4,password:
> Failed to start VNC server: Failed to bind socket: Address already in
> use
>
> As i understand, when libvirt try to detect free port for vnc it
> fails, because another process already binds to it. How can i avoid
> this errors? Does it fixed in never libvirt releases?
>
> libvirt 1.216
> qemu 2.4.0-rc0

There has not been much movement in that particular area since 1.2.16.
There's inherent race though: by the time that libvirt detects that a
certain port is free and qemu binds to it. During this window another
process may just allocate the port which will result in the error
message you're seeing.
One of the solutions may be to use static ports, or make sure that other
programs don't interfere with the range that's reserved for graphical
sessions (the range can be configured too in qemu.conf).

Michal