[libvirt] libvirt to report cpuWait of a guest.

Avi Weit WEIT at il.ibm.com
Thu Dec 3 09:24:08 UTC 2015

Hi,

We are working on fixing CPU utilization calculation of guests (VMs) in
Ceilometer metering service of OpenStack.

Per that fix, we retrieve, at the host level, se.statistics.wait_sum (or
se.wait_sum in old versions) Linux kernel schedstat counter of the
KVM/QEMU threads ? that represent the VM. That counter denotes the time in
milliseconds the thread 'wants' to run (but not actually running because
of a contention).

However, as Daniel Berrange mentioned in the fix review, it would be
better to retrieve that information from libvirt instead and he asked me
to raise this in this mailing list.

I could not notice that libvirt exposes such a counter.

It would be very good if virDomainInfo (
https://libvirt.org/html/libvirt-libvirt-domain.html#virDomainInfo) can be
added with cpuWait in addition to cpuTime it currently has so that cpuWait
will denote the total *time* the VM *wants* to run.

Adding cpuWait to any other location of domain is fine as well.

Thanks,
Avi Weit