[libvirt] vm live storage migration with snapshots

Edward Young edward.and.young at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 17:08:19 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I'm investigating the ways to improve the live migration performance in
libvirt. I have a question about the vm live storage migration. the
platform is libvirt + qemu + kvm

If we want to migrate a running vm with its virtual disk images to another
node.
we can use 'virsh migrate ....' commands.

What if this vm has a number of disk-only external snapshots? In the
current version, how can live migrate this vm?

Is it possible to blockcommit the snapshots to the base image and later
perform the migration, without shutting down the running vm?

Or is it possible to iteratively transfer all the snapshots to the
destination and later live migrate only the latest new data?

Thanks in advance.

Best,
Ed