[libvirt] Enhancing block/disk migration in libvirt

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Mon Feb 16 10:12:14 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 01:42:13PM +1100, Tony Breeds wrote:
> Hello all,
>     I'm new to both openstack and libvirt so I may get some of this slightly
> wrong[1].
>
> Here is some context form the openstack world (which at least some of you are
> aware of).  There are at least 2 open bug against openstack (nova) in the area
> of block/disk migration.
>
> 1) Live migration fails when the instance has a config-drive[2]
>    Here openstack(nova) fails because a drive that nova expects to be migrated
>    isn't migrated.
>
> 2) libvirt live_snapshot periodically explodes on libvirt 1.2.2 in the gate[3]
>    Here openstack(nova) fails because a drive that nova expects NOT to be
>    migrated is migrated.

On a related note, some weeks ago, I captured some context and analysis
(including some debugging done by Dan Berrange and Eric Blake on public
IRC channel mid-last year) for the above bug, since the actual bug has
too many comments:

    https://kashyapc.fedorapeople.org/virt/openstack/nova-live-snapshot-bug-1334398-context-and-analysis.txt

The cause of it is almost narrowed down here by Dan in this comment

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1334398/comments/27

--
/kashyap