[libvirt] Exact meaning of "nativeMode" attribute in vlan tags

Robson, James jrobson at websense.com
Mon Feb 23 15:24:46 UTC 2015

To clarify the behaviour of open vswitch:
With either of the native modes selected, a packet that comes in to the switch without a vlan header will be placed in the native vlan and the header added before the packet is forwarded.
With nativeMode='tagged', a packet in the native vlan will be sent out of the switch with its vlan header intact. With nativeMode='untagged' a packet in the native vlan will be sent out of the switch with the vlan header removed.

In case it helps, here is the open vswitch doc for the vlan settings:
 Bridge ports support the following types of VLAN configuration:

              trunk  A  trunk  port  carries packets on one or more specified VLANs specified in the trunks column (often, on every VLAN).  A
                     packet that ingresses on a trunk port is in the VLAN specified in its 802.1Q header, or VLAN 0  if  the  packet  has  no
                     802.1Q header.  A packet that egresses through a trunk port will have an 802.1Q header if it has a nonzero VLAN ID.

                     Any packet that ingresses on a trunk port tagged with a VLAN that the port does not trunk is dropped.

              access An  access  port  carries  packets on exactly one VLAN specified in the tag column.  Packets egressing on an access port
                     have no 802.1Q header.

                     Any packet with an 802.1Q header with a nonzero VLAN ID that ingresses on an  access  port  is  dropped,  regardless  of
                     whether the VLAN ID in the header is the access port’s VLAN ID.

              native-tagged
                     A native-tagged port resembles a trunk port, with the exception that a packet without an 802.1Q header that ingresses on
                     a native-tagged port is in the ‘‘native VLAN’’ (specified in the tag column).

              native-untagged
                     A native-untagged port resembles a native-tagged port, with the exception that a  packet  that  egresses  on  a  native-
                     untagged port in the native VLAN will not have an 802.1Q header.