[libvirt] libvirt memory flags

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Fri Jan 2 15:15:05 UTC 2015

On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 01:36:21AM +0000, Narayanan, Krishnaprasad wrote:
>Hallo all,
>
>I am using libvirt version 1.1.1 on one of the nodes which has several VMs. When I executed the command,  virsh dommemstat <domain UUID>, I am getting the following flags as output: actual, swap_in and rss. The API does not return "unused memory" flag that is associated to the virtual machine / domain.

It's hard to define what you mean by "unused" memory.  The API you are
talking about returns (at least for the QEMU driver) memory
information about the process itself.  These are, of course, different
values than he amount of memory inside the VM.  If you want to know
what is the current memory amount set for the VM, you can find it in
the XML output of 'virsh dumpxml <domain>'.  Further data should be
available from guest agent, but libvirt does not have an API for
this.  You can, however, query that information using an arbitrary
guest agent command (virsh qemu-agent-command), but I'm not sure about
that and neither about the commands.

Martin