[libvirt] [RFC] get guest OS infos

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Jun 11 08:17:30 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 01:51:33PM +0800, zhang bo wrote:
> Different OSes have different capabilities and behaviors sometimes. We have to distinguish them then.
>
> For example, our clients want to send NMI interrupts to certain guests(eg.Linux distributions), but not others(eg.Windows guests).
> They want to acquire the list below:
>   guest1: RHEL 7
>   guest2: RHEL 7
>   guest3: Ubuntu 12
>   guest4: Ubuntu 13
>   guest5: Windows 7
>
> AFAIK, neither libvirt nor openstack, nor qemu, have such capbility of showing these guest OS infos.
> Libvirt now supports to show host capabilities and driver capability, but not an individual guest OS's capibility. We may refer to
> http://libvirt.org/formatdomaincaps.html for more information.
>
> So, what's your opinion on adding such feature in libvirt and qemu?

This is normally something the higher level management app will
remember and record. For example, RHEV/oVirt store a record of
the OS when the guest is first provisioned. In OpenStack we are
going to permit the user to set an image property flag to specify
the guest OS, using libosinfo terminology

http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/liberty/approved/libvirt-hardware-policy-from-libosinfo.html