[libvirt] Deleted all setting after reboot

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Mon Jun 15 07:01:22 UTC 2015

On 13.06.2015 07:48, Amir Azemati wrote:
> Hello all great,
>
> We had a question, We use OpenStack IceHouse on CentOS 6.5.
> We use libvirt for create network, attach interface to our VMs and ...
>
> There is a problem. When our server restart (reboot), all settings are
> deleted. We have to go back and do all the setting (create network, attach
> an interface and ...) from the beginning.
>
> How can we solve our problem.
>
> our command we enterd:
>
> virsh list
> virsh domiflist ID
> virsh attach-interface --domain ID --type bridge --source br100
> virsh managedsave ID

There are two levels of operation here. One is over so called live XML,
the other one is config XML. Anything that's in live gets forgotten not
only on host reboot but on domain shutdown & start cycle. If I were to
reminiscent it to something, then it would be firewalld. Creating a live
rule works, only until the time firewall is reloaded.
So, in order to make your changes persistent you should:

1) define the network. This way libvirt will remember it even during
reboots. 'virsh net-create' is again something temporary.

2) make the network autostart: 'virsh net-autostart $net'

3) Attach the interface on config level too: 'virsh attach-interface
--config ...'

Michal