[libvirt] Publishing a Python libvirt Howto/Reference Guide

David Ashley w.david.ashley at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 15:48:29 UTC 2015

All -

I represent the Fedora Docs Team. We are interested in publishing a
Python libvirt HowTo/Reference Guide for users. We feel that there is a
gap with using virtualization from a scripting environment. While virsh
fills this gap for simple scripting purposes, a more powerful scripting
language is needed for deep administrative purposes. Python is the
obvious choice and the libvirt team has provided a great Python module.
What is really missing are examples of using the module in both simple
and deeper tasks i.e. something more than just how to start and stop a
domain.

We propose to create such a document. While we can use pydoc to create
the reference material, we need some really good examples that can teach
a user how to get real work done using the classes. We also propose to
share the document with the libvirt team taking either an upstream or
downstream role in maintaining the document. The document would be
written in DocBook and published using the Publican system. This would
allow you to create your own brand for the document (look and feel)
while maintaining compatible source for both our teams. It would also
allow the source to be maintained by both teams.

If this sounds interesting to you we would like to begin our planning
for the document in the near future with one or more representatives
from the libvirt team on board. Please let either myself or Laura Novich
(cc'ed on this email) know if this proposal meets with your approval.

W. David Ashley
w.david.ashley at gmail.com
Fedora Docs Team