[libvirt] Publishing a Python libvirt Howto/Reference Guide

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Jun 16 08:41:48 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 10:48:29AM -0500, David Ashley wrote:
> All -
>
> I represent the Fedora Docs Team. We are interested in publishing a Python
> libvirt HowTo/Reference Guide for users. We feel that there is a gap with
> using virtualization from a scripting environment. While virsh fills this
> gap for simple scripting purposes, a more powerful scripting language is
> needed for deep administrative purposes. Python is the obvious choice and
> the libvirt team has provided a great Python module. What is really missing
> are examples of using the module in both simple and deeper tasks i.e.
> something more than just how to start and stop a domain.
>
> We propose to create such a document. While we can use pydoc to create the
> reference material, we need some really good examples that can teach a user
> how to get real work done using the classes. We also propose to share the
> document with the libvirt team taking either an upstream or downstream role
> in maintaining the document. The document would be written in DocBook and
> published using the Publican system. This would allow you to create your own
> brand for the document (look and feel) while maintaining compatible source
> for both our teams. It would also allow the source to be maintained by both
> teams.
>
> If this sounds interesting to you we would like to begin our planning for
> the document in the near future with one or more representatives from the
> libvirt team on board. Please let either myself or Laura Novich (cc'ed on
> this email) know if this proposal meets with your approval.

A few years back now, we did start creating a libvirt application
development guide in docbook but the person working on it then
switched jobs so it never got very far

   http://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt-appdev-guide.git;a=summary

The bulk of the guide was going to focus on explaining the general
libvirt concepts for different scenarios, and where code was needed,
simple C code snippets inlined. We did, however, wish to have a
chapter on usage of each of the language bindings too, which would
included python obviously.

So if you create any content related to use of the python bindings,
it'd be desirable to import it into that document in some manner.
We had a publican theme for the doc, but I wouldn't be surprised if
it has bitrotted since we created it.

  http://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt-publican.git;a=summary