[libvirt] lifecycle: shutdown: should it have timeout when using qemu-agent?

zhang bo oscar.zhangbo at huawei.com
Mon Mar 23 09:31:27 UTC 2015

The problem we encountered is:
1) use qemu-agent to shutdown a domain.
2) libvirt will block in "qemuAgentShutdown()", if the domain itself got stucked when it powers-off.

It's the *guest domain*'s fault that it stucks when shutdown. However, we could not handle the domain in libvirt anymore, except for the jobs such as DESTROY or QUERY.

So, here comes the question:
    What's the normal solution to this problem? shall we:
    1) use DESTROY to forcelly poweroff the domain, in openstack or other applications that uses libvirt.
    or
    2) leave it to the administrator users, if they find this problem, let them manually DESTROY the domain.
    or
    3) let SHUTDOWN timeout in libvirt when the guest domain got stucked.

Looking forward to your reply, thanks in advance.