[libvirt] bug#20082: new warning from ar on rawhide systems

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Fri Mar 27 20:49:38 UTC 2015

[redirecting to libvirt; a continuation of
https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2015-February/msg01227.html]

On 03/27/2015 02:43 PM, Pavel Raiskup wrote:
> [+cc back libtool bug; as fixing automake does not seem to be enough]
>

>> Hmm. How hard is it to change ARFLAGS to 'cr' instead of the default of
>> 'cru', so that projects that want to silence the warning now can do so
>> without waiting on automake to catch up?  (Remember, the warning is live
>> on rawhide systems now, and even if we release a new automake with a
>> patch to change the default, there are TONS of packages built with older
>> automake that will still warn until such time as autoreconf is run on
>> those packages to update them to the newer automake)
>
> Agreed here, while trying to look at possible patch, I found that libtool
> historically does not respect automake's ARFLAGS, it has its own AR_FLAGS:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2008-05/msg00050.html
> So fixing automake does not help for libtool-enabled projects, and, in some
> situations users could need AR_FLAGS=X ARFLAGS=X, but yes - still easy to
> define on per-project basis.
>
> FTR, Libtool uses AR_FLAGS from ~2000 (commit 8300de4c54e6f04f0d), automake
> ARFLAGS from ~2003 (commit a71b3490639831ca).

Given the discussion on automake/libtool lists, I'm going to play with a
patch that just sets AR[_]FLAGS to 'cr' to shut up the compilation
warnings on rawhide.  Anyone see a problem with that plan?