[libvirt] [RFC v1 0/6] Live Migration with ephemeral host NIC devices

Peter Krempa pkrempa at redhat.com
Wed May 13 08:05:24 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 11:36:26 +0800, Chen Fan wrote:
> my main goal is to add support migration with host NIC
> passthrough devices and keep the network connectivity.
>
> this series patch base on Shradha's patches on
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2012-November/msg01324.html
> which is add migration support for host passthrough devices.
>
>  1) unplug the ephemeral devices before migration
>
>  2) do native migration
>
>  3) when migration finished, hotplug the ephemeral devices

IMHO this algorithm is something that an upper layer management app
should do. The device unplug operation is complex and it might not
succeed which will make the current migration thread hang or fail in an
intermediate state that will not be recoverable.

I'll point the places out in the actual patches.

> TODO:
>   keep network connectivity on guest level by bonding device.

This is out of scope for libvirt since we don't really know what is
running inside the vm.

> Chen Fan (6):
>   conf: add ephemeral element for hostdev supporting migration
>   qemu: Save ephemeral devices into qemuDomainObjPrivate
>   qemu: add check ephemeral devices only for PCI host devices
>   migration: Migration support for ephemeral hostdevs
>   managedsave: move the domain xml handling forward to stop CPU
>   managedsave: add managedsave support for ephemeral host devices

Peter