[libvirt] cpuset / numa and qemu in TCG mode

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Thu May 14 06:58:03 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 03:31:09PM +0000, Serge Hallyn wrote:
>Quoting Guido Günther (agx at sigxcpu.org):

>> > 1.2.13 has the commit already in the release and 1.2.12-maint has it
>> > as a first back-port right after release.  The problem is that there
>> > was no maintenance release of 1.2.12 yet.  Maybe they would use
>> > 1.2.12.1 if it existed.
>> >
>> > I Cc'd Guido as an upstream debian maintainer, maybe he'll have some
>> > insights.  @Guido: would it help if we created a maintenance release
>> > from the v1.2.12-maint branch?  Or is the only thing missing the fact
>> > that the launchpad bug is not moved to libvirt?
>
>Thanks guys, I'm going to cherrypick that patch into vivid right now.  (It
>should be in wily as that is 1.2.15).
>
>> Basically Ubuntu takes the version that is in Debian testing, unstable
>> or experimental at time of their release and adds pathes. There's little
>> to no sync unfortunately (except for the awesome efforts to sync the
>> apparmor stuff)
>>
>> Debian itself is not using 1.2.12 anywhere. Current stable has 1.2.9 +
>> maintenance patches (which I intend to switch over to the maintenance
>> releases soonish and support hopefully Cole with these), oldstable has
>> 0.9.12.3 and unstable/sid has 1.2.15 (and will keep following the
>> releases).
>>
>> I've added Serge since he might to jump onto 1.2.12.1 maintenance
>> relasese.
>
>If you mean contributing by adding patches that we add to vivid, I'm
>definately willing to do that.  Note that vivid has a pretty short
>lifecycle so it wouldn't go on for very long.  If people are willing
>to tag patches with '[1.2.12.1-maint]' on this list I'm willing to
>support this longer.

Rather than tagging patches with -maint, we just back-port them
straight into the maintenance branch.  If there are more distributions
using the maintenance branch or would be if there was more review,
etc., I'm sure we could come up with some solution to suit everyone
(or majority at least).

After patches are back-ported, Cole does a maintenance release which
should make it even more easier (e.g. you don't want to follow up the
list or the git repo) since the release announcement goes to
libvirt-announce as with other releases.

However, I'm not sure when Cole does those releases (if it's time-,
commit- or random-based).  Anyway, as I said earlier, we should
definitely come up with how to do this so it helps other maintainers
out there.  I'm offering my help.