[libvirt] Windows Development

scott lee smasherprog at gmail.com
Thu May 14 14:24:35 UTC 2015

I am experimenting with libvirt, and my favorite IDE is visual studio so I
looked for an easy method to build the libvirt library on windows and found
that the state of cross-platform libraries like Mingw are outdated or
difficult to use correctly for developers who want to start coding
immediatly with libvirt. I know there is a way, but assembling the right
libraries and commands was just too much. So, I found that the libvirt
dll’s are actually a part of most distros of linux and can be downloaded
and extracted. I just needed to find out what dlls were needed, then search
the repos for those files.

After the search, I have begun work on a powershell script to get the
latest libvirt builds from fedora, download and extract them. After that,
you can go to town building libraries against the libvirt api. Check out
the script here: https://github.com/smasherprog/Libvirt_Windows_Dll

Anyone who links against the libvirt library would be creating a management
tool of some sort so a language like C# so after I create this tool, I will
write some code to generate the C# code files for the DLLImport calls. The
Libvirt header thousands of lines long so I will write some code to extract
the calls/structs and generate the PInvoke calls for everything at once and
place it into a .cs file so developers can start dewveloping in libvirt
fast and easy.

Scott Lee