[libvirt] RFC Parallels driver renaming

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu May 7 15:53:33 UTC 2015

On Thu, May 07, 2015 at 06:13:27PM +0300, Maxim Nestratov wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> You probably already know that our Parallels business devision responsible
> for Parallels Cloud Server, which is supported currently in libvirt as a
> "parallels" driver, was recently renamed to Odin [1].
> As a part of this change our Parallels Cloud Server product name was also
> changed to Virtuozzo [2]. That said, we need to address this change in all
> publicly available products and projects and libvirt is not an exception.
> Thus, I intend to do the following renaming:
> 1. connection uri from "parallels" to "vz",
> 2. driver directory and source files from "parallels" to "vz",
> 3. internal names (function prefixes, variable and other names) from
> "parallels", "prl" to "vz".
>
> I would like to request for comments about proposed renamings, if they are
> affordable? If so, I will send the patch series shortly.

The function names and file names are not a problem, since that does not
affect external applications at all.

Libvirt promises to maintain 100% application compatibility though
across releases.

So for the URI, we need to keep compatibility with existing syntax.
That doesn't mean we can't rename the URI to have a vz:// prefix,
but the code would have to still permit the old parallels:// prefix
forever.

Also, anywhere in the XML which refers to the parallels will have to
continue to refer to that. For example <domain type="parallels">
cannot be changed, and virConnectGetType() will have to continue to
return "Parallels". I can't remember if there are any other similar
places.