[libvirt] official libvirt mirror on github?

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Fri May 22 12:20:31 UTC 2015

On 05/22/2015 03:33 AM, Peter Krempa wrote:
> On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 21:34:25 -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> Anyone considered setting up libvirt*.git mirrors on github? Given the
>> popularity of github these days, IMO it's unfortunate we don't have an
>> official mirror on there.
>>
>> As far as the actual mirroring though, we'd probably need to set up hooks on
>> libvirt.org to push new commits up to github, there doesn't appear to be any
>> better way than that.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> I'm worried that once we have a github clone that is described as
> official it will motivate people to send code via github pull requests
> rather than via the mailing list.

Yes that t seems to happen with many other projects that don't use
pull-requests. However it's easy to catch these: libvirt committers can just
'watch' the github repo and get email notification when there's pull-request
activity (I wish there was a way to send these notifications to a mailing list
but github doesn't have native support for it:
https://github.com/github/github-services/issues/804)

That said I think pull-requests are still an opportunity to get new
contributers, if we react quickly and point them at the mailing list and tell
them they don't even need to subscribe, just git send-email it.

> I don't object to the mirror though, we just should make it obvious that
> it's read only and that we certainly don't accept any pull requests.

We can add a disclaimer at the top like libguestfs uses. pull-requests will
still come in though

- Cole