[libvirt] official libvirt mirror on github?

Jiri Denemark jdenemar at redhat.com
Fri May 22 12:38:07 UTC 2015

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 08:20:31 -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
> On 05/22/2015 03:33 AM, Peter Krempa wrote:
> > On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 21:34:25 -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
> >> Hey all,
> >>
> >> Anyone considered setting up libvirt*.git mirrors on github? Given the
> >> popularity of github these days, IMO it's unfortunate we don't have an
> >> official mirror on there.
> >>
> >> As far as the actual mirroring though, we'd probably need to set up hooks on
> >> libvirt.org to push new commits up to github, there doesn't appear to be any
> >> better way than that.
> >>
> >> Thoughts?
> >
> > I'm worried that once we have a github clone that is described as
> > official it will motivate people to send code via github pull requests
> > rather than via the mailing list.
> >

> Yes that t seems to happen with many other projects that don't use
> pull-requests. However it's easy to catch these: libvirt committers can just
> 'watch' the github repo and get email notification when there's pull-request
> activity (I wish there was a way to send these notifications to a mailing list
> but github doesn't have native support for it:
> https://github.com/github/github-services/issues/804)

No, please. Having to go to a github web page to see the pull request
and review and comment on it there is not something we want to do IMHO.
We don't want to have reviews and discussion in two places. Not to

> That said I think pull-requests are still an opportunity to get new
> contributers, if we react quickly and point them at the mailing list and tell
> them they don't even need to subscribe, just git send-email it.

Oh, so you only want it to get notifications so that we can redirect
them to a mailing list. I don't object if you want to do it, but I'm
certainly not going to be that kind of interface. I think it's enough we
already have bugzilla which is sometimes used for submitting patches.
Our contributor guidelines are pretty clear about the way to properly
send patches.

Jirka