[libvirt] Found mem leak in livirt, need help to debug

Piotr Rybicki piotr.rybicki at innervision.pl
Wed Nov 18 14:33:02 UTC 2015

Hi.

There is a mem leak in libvirt, when doing external snapshot (for backup
purposes). My KVM domain uses raw storage images via libgfapi. I'm using
latest 1.2.21 libvirt (although previous versions act the same).

My bash script for snapshot backup uses series of shell commands (virsh
connect to a remote libvirt host):

* virsh domblklist KVM
* qemu-img create -f qcow2 -o backing_file=gluster(...) - precreate
backing file
* virsh snapshot-create KVM SNAP.xml (...) - create snapshot from
precreated XML snapshot file
* cp main img file
* virsh blockcommit KVM disk (...)

Backup script works fine, however libvirtd process gets bigger and
bigger each time I run this script.

Some proof of memleak:

32017 - libvirtd pid

When libvirt started:
# ps p 32017 o vsz,rss
    VSZ   RSS
585736 15220

When I start KVM via virsh start KVM
# ps p 32017 o vsz,rss
    VSZ   RSS
1327968 125956

When i start backup script, after snapshot is created (lots of mem
allocated)
# ps p 32017 o vsz,rss
    VSZ   RSS
3264544 537632

After backup script finished
# ps p 32017 o vsz,rss
    VSZ   RSS
3715920 644940

When i start backup script for a second time, after snapshot is created
# ps p 32017 o vsz,rss
    VSZ   RSS
5521424 1056352

And so on, until libvirt spills 'Out of memory' when connecting, ane
being really huge process.

Now, I would like to diagnose it further, to provide detailed
information about memleak. I tried to use valgrind, but unfortunatelly
I'm on Opteron 6380 platform, and valgrind doesn't support XOP quitting
witch SIGILL.

If someone could provide me with detailed information on how to get some
usefull debug info about this memleak, i'll be more than happy to do it,
and share results here.

Thanks in advance and best regards
Piotr Rybicki