[libvirt] libvirt external snapshot error

Peter Krempa pkrempa at redhat.com
Mon Nov 23 11:43:34 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 13:13:09 +0300, Vasiliy Tolstov wrote:
> Hi, i'm using
> virsh -c qemu+ssh://test.node/system snapshot-create-as 40083
> --no-metadata --disk-only --live –atomic   --diskspec sda,file=/test
>
> outputs:
> error: Operation not supported: live snapshot creation is supported
> only with external checkpoints
>
> info:
> Compiled against library: libvirt 1.2.16
> Using library: libvirt 1.2.16
> Using API: QEMU 1.2.16
> Running hypervisor: QEMU 2.4.1
>

> Does it supported on never libvirt? How can i solve the issue? I'm use
> raw format for disk.

If you insist on using --live you also have to specify --memspec to
point to a location where the memory snapshot is saved. Btw, --live and
--disk-only are basically mutually exclusive since --disk-only implies
that the memory state should not be saved, whereas --live is used when
the memory state is saved.

Additionally a disk-only snapshot is always considered "live" since it
usually doesn't require pausing of the VM.

Peter