[libvirt] [RFC] Automatically sync time on domain resume?

Peter Krempa pkrempa at redhat.com
Tue Oct 13 15:57:44 UTC 2015

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 13:13:04 +0200, Michal Privoznik wrote:

> 1) Invent new flag to all APIs in question and let mgmt applications
> call it. If the flag is set we would sync the guest time too. However,
> this masks two different operations under single API. What should be
> reported if resuming succeeded but syncing time did not? Success or
> failure? Mgmt applications will end up calling two APIs to distinguish
> error states anyway.
>
> 2) Do this as best effort. Unconditionally, whenever guest agent is
> available just issue the time sync command (possibly without waiting for
> reply). This, however, takes away control from users - they will no
> longer have possibility to just resume domain without time sync.
>
> There's of course the obvious solution - not change anything and have
> mgmt apps calling two separate APIs - like they oughtta be doing today.
>
> What's your view?

As I've pointed out in a review a while ago [1] combining two operations
into one API tends to be problematic. I'd advise that the users of the
API call the two functions separately with the full control it allows
them rather.

Peter

[1]:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2014-November/msg00134.html