[libvirt] genprotocol.pl generates unstable output

Olaf Hering olaf at aepfle.de
Thu Oct 15 07:59:24 UTC 2015

On Wed, Oct 14, Martin Kletzander wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 01, 2015 at 08:44:55AM +0200, Olaf Hering wrote:
> >If the same source gets built twice the resulting files may differ.

> I don't see the problem, these pointers are not depending on each
> other.  Or are you saying that it leaves your tree dirty?  Because
> that has not happened to me and I believe others did not have a
> problem with it either, otherwise this would happen a LOT of times.

'built twice' means 'build same source on different hosts at different
times'. I want to get reproducible build results for binary packages.

> >Looks like the perl script transforms the pointers, but it does not sort them
> >to enforce an order. I think its the map() which does it, but dont know enough
> >perl to be sure.  How can this be fixed?
> >

> I don't know that much about perl myself and I don't quite get it from
> the genprotocol.pl, but you could sort the output before printing, for
> sure.  But I'm still more curious about how come that causes you
> something that's not happening for me.

I'm sure it returns reproducible results on localhost. But even if it
did not noone would notice because if the file happens to differ it will
just get rebuilt.

Olaf