[libvirt] strange stale qemu processes after domain shutdown

Vasiliy Tolstov v.tolstov at selfip.ru
Thu Oct 22 22:40:15 UTC 2015

> These are probably left over after daemon restart. I mean, when deamon
> restarts, it reloads the state XML. However, if there's something wrong
> (e.g. unknown device), the state XML is ignored and libvirt thinks the
> domain is shut off, leaving qemu process behind. The unknown device can
> happen if you run older daemon than the domain has been started with.

Daemon does not restarts, also to note - domain started without
define. Libvirt version does not changed....

> You can check daemon debug logs and see how it loads domain state XMLs.
> If there's an error somewhere it's possibly this case.

If domain is not defined, if i'm enable debug in libvirt and restart
it, this is not helps because qemu process already stalled and libvirt
does not know about this domain because they not defined.

> Of course, the other option would be that we have a bug somewhere where
> we leave qemu process behind. But the former is more likely than the latter.

I'm try to add to monitoring (difference with virsh --state-running
--name vs ps auxww | grep qemu-system | grep -v grep | wc -l) and
investigate this issue...

--
Vasiliy Tolstov,
e-mail: v.tolstov at selfip.ru