[libvirt] [libvirt-guests] New feature ALWAYS_START

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Sep 23 13:21:34 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 03:16:04PM +0200, Martin Kletzander wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 12:50:57PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> >>To be honest, I don't think that's _exactly_ what you want _just_ from
> >>libvirt itself; let me explain.

> >>Delays that are done due to the guests are not something we should
> >>handle.  Guests and mainly the applications inside them should handle
> >>this gracefully.  Just delaying the starts is still error-prone.

> >>That's what libvirt-guests does already.  And if you want some domains
> >>to be started on every start, there's the 'autostart' parameter for
> >>domains.
> >
> >Indeed, and I have a generall desire for libvirt-guests to go away
> >entirely and have all its functionality just built into libvirtd. So
> >I don't think taking functionality that already exist in libvirtd and
> >adding it to libvirt-guest is the right direction for us to take.
> >

> As Jirka pointed out, it's harder to do this in libvirtd because you
> want all the domains to be saved when shutting down, but not when
> stopping the service.  Another option would be that libvirt-guests
> would just tell libvirt over some other API, which is not
> hypervisor-specific (let's say admin api for example), that would call
> some function in all drivers that would do what libvirt-guests does
> now.

Yeah, I would anticipate adding a function in the admin API to trigger
"complete shutdown" of resources. It could be a useful admin task even
when a host is not shutting down.

When running in session mode, libvirtd listens for a dbus signal to
indicate that the desktop session is exiting, and does the save. I
wonder if system emits any kind of signal to indicate that a system
shutdown is taking place. If so we might be able to hook into that
instead of needing the admin AP