[libvirt] RFC: Drop unmaintained hv drivers? (phyp, xenapi, hyperv)

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Mon Apr 18 13:11:24 UTC 2016

> On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 08:54:15AM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
>> On 04/18/2016 05:21 AM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>>> On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 03:54:00PM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
>>>

>>> In general I'm not really in favour of dropping virt drivers for hypervisor
>>> platforms that still exist and have potential users, even if we don't hear
>>> much about them. I don't think any of these drivers is really giving us a
>>> significant maintenance headache to justify deletion.
>>>

>> It's just kind of a weird situation. We advertise support for these platforms,
>> but if someone tries them and finds them lacking and reports an issue here,
>> the only response they are going to get is 'no one has worked on it for years,
>> no one here has a setup to test, sorry we cannot help you'. That's if they get
>> a response at all. Seems bizarre to me...
>
> This is implying that because we don't have an active maintainer who will
> answer bug reports, then the driver is entirely useless to everybody. I
> find that really dubious, because it ignores the possibility that people
> are happily using the other parts of it that actually do work. Sure it
> would be nice if we have active maintainers, but I don't think the lack
> of an active maintainer means the driver is useless to all users.

My paragraph didn't fully describe all the assumptions; Those three drivers
may have zero active users in the wild. Certainly there is no obvious evidence
to the contrary. The most damning bit seems to be that there hasn't been a
single targeted bug fix for those drivers in an average of 4 years; if someone
was actively using those drivers I'm pretty sure we would have received a
drive by patch at some point

Maybe someone will chime in to prove me wrong, but what if the situation is
that there's no active maintainer, and no active users? Then it truly _is_
serving no purpose, and IMO even advertising it is actively harmful since it
may lead users down a dead end path

Removing a driver doesn't need to be the end either... if someone motivated
shows up they can always revive the old code

...now that I do some more targeted searches looking for patches, looks like
someone from bull.net did try to massively expand the hyperv driver a few
years back, but it was an awkward code dump:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2014-October/msg00257.html