[libvirt] [RFC] relax offline migration requirements to --xml

Jiri Denemark jdenemar at redhat.com
Fri Apr 22 06:16:18 UTC 2016

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 17:52:07 +0300, Nikolay Shirokovskiy wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
>   I'm thinking of leveraging of existing migration API to support offline clone
> in virtuozzo. AFAIK offline migration is basically just copying of domain
> config to the other side and defining it there. It is even possible to slightly
> mutate it thru options like --dname or --xml but mutation restrictions are the same
> as in case of active domain migration which is quite tight for an offline clone
> case. In case of clone we want to change uuid, MACs etc. Well the changes
> itself could be done by mgmt but this requires that libvirt drops the
> restictive checks for --xml option. What is your evaluation of this approach?

Yeah, the ABI stability check for user-supplied XML is probably too
strict for offline migration. However, offline migration doesn't really
do anything but transferring the domain XML to the destination host and
if you supply your own XML, it's easier and much more powerful (no
restrictions at all) to directly define the domain on the destination
host using your modified XML.

Jirka