[libvirt] [RFC] live migration of VMs with internal snapshots

Maxim Nestratov mnestratov at virtuozzo.com
Tue Apr 26 03:26:59 UTC 2016

Hi,

As far as I understand, currently there is no way to live migrate qemu
VMs that
have internal snapshots, because live migration works via qemu drive
mirroring,
which in turns mirrors only shallow block layer, effectively losing
existing embedded
snapshots. The problem could be fixed if we created an external delta
for all disks with
internal snapshots, live migrate such VMs and then auto merge them back into
original images. That said, I would like to know very much your opinion
on the matter
and would also like to know if this approach is affordable. If so, I or
one of my colleagues
will send a pathset to fix this, otherwise what solution for this
problem you will
recommend?

Thanks,
Maxim