[libvirt] [libvirt-users] Libvirtd running as root tries to access oneadmin (OpenNebula) NFS mount but throws: error: can’t canonicalize path

John Ferlan jferlan at redhat.com
Tue Apr 12 15:45:47 UTC 2016

On 04/12/2016 10:58 AM, TomK wrote:
> Hey Martin,
>
> Thanks very much.  Appreciate you jumping in on this thread.

Can you provide some more details with respect to which libvirt version
you have installed. I know I've made changes in this space in more
recent versions (not the most recent). I'm no root_squash expert, but I
was the last to change things in the space so that makes me partially
fluent ;-) in NFS/root_squash speak.

Using root_squash is very "finicky" (to say the least)... It wasn't
really clear from what you posted how you are attempting to reference
things. Does the "/var/lib/one//datastores/0/38/deployment.0" XML file
use a direct path to the NFS volume or does it use a pool? If a pool,
then what type of pool? It is beneficial to provide as many details as
possible about the configuration because (so to speak) those that are
helping you won't know your environment (I've never used OpenNebula) nor
do I have a 'oneadmin' uid:gid.

What got my attention was the error message "initializing FS storage
file" with the "file:" prefix to the name and 9869:9869 as the uid:gid
trying to access the file (I assume that's oneadmin:oneadmin on your
system).

This says to me that you're trying to use a "file system" pool (e.g
<pool type="fs">) perhaps rather than the "NFS" pool (e.g. <pool
type="netfs">). Using an NFS pool certainly has the advantage of
"knowing how" to deal with the NFS environment. Since libvirt may
consider this to "just" be a FS file, then it won't necessarily know to
try to access the file properly (OK dependent upon libvirt version too
perhaps - the details have been paged out of my memory while I do other
work).

One other thing that popped out at me:

My /etc/exports has:

/home/bzs/rootsquash/nfs *(rw,sync,root_squash)

which only differs from yours by the 'no_subtree_check'

your environment though seems to have much more "depth" than mine. That
is you have "//datastores/0/38/disk.1" appended on as the (I assume)
disk to use. The question then becomes - does every directory in the
path to that file use "oneadmin:oneadmin" and of course does it have to
with[out] that extra flag.

Again, I'm no expert just trying to provide ideas and help...

John