[libvirt] RFC: spec file cleanup ideas

Roman Bogorodskiy bogorodskiy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 11:40:29 UTC 2016

  Cole Robinson wrote:

> Thanks for the comments
>
> On 04/15/2016 06:14 AM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >
> >> * Drop with_* conditionals that are only used by old Fedora or RHEL5. I didn't
> >> audit all of them but the obvious ones are straight forward like:
> >> with_systemd_macros, with_polkit, with_capng, with_netcf, with_yajl,
> >> with_capng, with_avahi, with_hal/all HAL support
> >
> > For that matter I think we can drop HAL *code* entirely since it was
> > EOL after RHEL5, replaced by the udev driver.
>
> Maybe BSD still uses it? CCing Roman
>
> Also Maxim fixed a WITH_HAL build issue in November, not sure if they are
> using it. CCed

HAL nodedev driver builds fine on FreeBSD and basic stuff like
nodedev-list or nodedev-dumpxml works, but that's the only things that I
test for nodedev.

Also, I don't actually know what are the usage scenarios for the nodedev
APIs, I assume the main function is to use it to manage devices
passthrough to guests. For that case I doubt that important things like
device detaching work on FreeBSD, but probably I'm wrong because I didn't
look closer at this. Also, I didn't test PCI passthrough on FreeBSD at
all.

Anyway, once somebody gets to implement passthrough related things for
libvirt on FreeBSD, probably it'd be good to base these things on the
existing HAL driver.

On the other hand, I'm not aware if somebody's going to implement it
soon and it's not on the top of my todo list either, so it would not be
a huge lost if it gets removed (not hard to revive it when needed).

Roman Bogorodskiy