[libvirt] [RFC] Design executing commands from within domains

Andrea Bolognani abologna at redhat.com
Tue Aug 9 11:03:32 UTC 2016

On Mon, 2016-08-08 at 16:19 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> IOW, I don't think we should ever expose the qemu guest agent exec command
> via libvirt APIs.
>
> If people want a general purpose exec facility, they can trivially write
> a much better exec feature via a separate virtio-serial channel (or via
> the new virtio-vsock), and stil access that over libvirt by using the
> virDomainOpenChannel to connect to the host side of the channel if needed

Personally, I feel like most of this is way out of scope for
libvirt.

If you want to monitor the disk / memory usage of your guest,
just run the Nagios agent or whatever in it; if you want to
run random commands, just use ssh.

These are not some specific requirements that are strongly
tied to virtualization, but very generic requirements that
can be addressed with existing generic software.