[libvirt] Libvirt domain event usage and consistency

Roman Mohr rmohr at redhat.com
Thu Dec 1 15:02:07 UTC 2016

On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 8:23 PM, Michal Privoznik <mprivozn at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On 25.11.2016 18:33, Roman Mohr wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 6:04 PM, Michal Privoznik <mprivozn at redhat.com>
> > wrote:

> >> increase

> irregularities.
> >> versioned
> >> events.

> completely

> the

> >> Yes, they were removed.
> >

> > Nice
> >

> >> The Resumed event comes from qemu actually,
> >> because libvirt starts qemu in paused mode so that we can do some setup
> >> (e.g. place vcpu threads into cgroups) and only after that we can resume
> >> guest CPUs and in fact let guest start. Once this is done we
> >> deliberately emit Started event.
> >>

> > I would expect an event like this:
> >
> > event 'lifecycle' for domain testvm: Suspended Bootstrapping
> >
> > before the other two events. That takes the ambiguity from the Resumed
> > event.

> order

> actual

> >> that.
> >>
> >> Ah, that's for virsh create/start not virsh define. Anyway, this is no
> >> longer the case with upstream, is it?
> >>

> > Right

> >> Again, both of these are deliberately emitted by libvirt and in fact I
> >> think they reflect what is happening.
> >>

> > Why is in this case  not
> >
> >  event 'lifecycle' for domain testvm: Resumed Unpaused
> >
> > event emitted?
> >
> > I would expect
> >
> > event 'lifecycle' for domain testvm: Resumed Unpaused
>
> I fail to see why this is supposed to be emitted. The QEMU is started as
> paused. If this even would be emitted, even if immediately followed by
> Paused event, it might suggest that guest CPUs have run for a little
> while. But that's not true.

So to sum this up, to see if I get it right.

When I directly start a VM I get:

 1) event 'lifecycle' for domain testvm: Resumed Unpaused
 2) event 'lifecycle' for domain testvm: Started Booted

When I want to start it in paused mode I get:

 1) event 'lifecycle' for domain testvm: Started Booted
 2) event 'lifecycle' for domain testvm: Suspended Paused

but no Resumed Unpaused as first event.

The "Resumed Unpaused" I get in the first case, is because of internal
libvirt VM setup on a paused VM, right?
This work is not happening before the Started Booted event when I start the
VM in paused mode?

> > event 'lifecycle' for domain testvm: Started Booted
> > event 'lifecycle' for domain testvm: Suspended Paused
> >

> > So the situation on master is much better but because of the
> > Resumed/Unpaused event I still have the feeling that the most simple but
> > powerful usecase, watching for CREATE, UPDATE, DELETE is very hard
> because
> > you can't know if the Resumed/Unpaused is the indicator for CREATE or
> > UPDATE.
> >

> It's neither. Resumed event reflects vCPU state, not the domain XML
> change. Maybe we need to document that better.

That would be great :)

> For domain create event you need to watch for Started lifecycle event.

I have two questions here:
 1) So the domain which triggers the resumed event does not exist before
this Started even although I get notifications assigned to it?
 2) Isn't the resumed event still ambiguous then? Normally it implies that
the domain already exists and was paused, but in this case it reflects
internal libvirt work on a not yet created domain.

I don't think it is that much a deal, you can work around that, but it is
something everyone has to keep in mind when working with these events.
But even something simple like having a special event reason, let's say
'Resumed Initialized' would fix that, although the word 'Resumed' just
sounds wrong in this context.

> For domain update event you need to watch for device-* event.
> For domain shutdown event you need to watch for Stopped lifecycle event.
>
> Michal

Roman