[libvirt] connecting to qemu domain monitor socket outside of libvirt/virsh

Jason Miesionczek jmiesionczek at datto.com
Tue Dec 20 18:48:44 UTC 2016

Hi,

So I see that when i have a qemu vm running, that i created via libvirt,
there is a socket here:
/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-<name>/monitor.sock

I am trying to connect to this socket via cli or a completely separate
C/C++ application to be able to control the VM, but I can't seem to get it
to work.

Does anyone know if/how this is possible?

I've tried 'nc', 'socat', and based on the qemu libvirt code,
'socket'/'connect', but nothing seems to work.

Also, is it possible through libvirt, when creating a qemu VM, one can
specify to enable the QMP socket?

Thanks in advance,
Jason