[libvirt] connecting to qemu domain monitor socket outside of libvirt/virsh

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Dec 21 15:40:18 UTC 2016

On 12/20/2016 12:56 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 12/20/2016 12:48 PM, Jason Miesionczek wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> So I see that when i have a qemu vm running, that i created via libvirt,
>> there is a socket here:
>> /var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-<name>/monitor.sock
>>

> Libvirt creates a QMP socket already.

More to the point, looking at the command line of any libvirt-created
guest, and you will see these four arguments (alongside all the others):

-chardev
socket,id=charmonitor,path=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-XXX/monitor.sock,server,nowait
-mon chardev=charmonitor,id=monitor,mode=control

which is the monitor.sock you are asking about, and the mode=control is
what tells you it is a QMP monitor socket.  (The qemu command line
argument '-qmp' is syntactic sugar for the longer paired -chardev/-mon
spelling used by libvirt.)