[libvirt] [RFC] phi support in libvirt

Feng, Shaohe shaohe.feng at intel.com
Mon Dec 26 11:57:42 UTC 2016

Thanks, Daniel.

So how about:

for the NUMA format,
we still uses "memory" to describe the mcdram.
But we remove the cpus elements.
<numa>
   <cell id='3' memory='8' unit='GiB'/> </numa>
   <cell id='4' memory='8' unit='GiB'/> </numa>

At present, for this kind CPUless NUMA , we only support mcdram as
memroy backend.

<domain>
   <memoryBacking>
     <mcdram nodeset="3-4"/>
   </memoryBacking>
</domain>

And we reject a CPUless NUMA without memroy backend.
Maybe we will allow it in futures after qemu can handle it well.

A question:
1. Should libvirt probe the "host-nodes" for this kind of memory to make
a smart map?

The qemu arguments will be as follow:
-object
memory-backend-ram,size=8G,prealloc=yes,host-nodes=0,policy=bind,id=node3 \
-numa node,nodeid=3,memdev=node3 \

-object
memory-backend-ram,size=8G,prealloc=yes,host-nodes=0,policy=bind,id=node4 \
-numa node,nodeid=4,memdev=node4 \

2. or we let user specify the host-nodes.
   <memoryBacking>
     <mcdram nodeset="3-4", host-nodes="0-1"/>
   </memoryBacking>
</domain>

BR
ShaoHe Feng