[libvirt] [Qemu-devel] ARM KVM GICv3 Support

Christoffer Dall christoffer.dall at linaro.org
Tue Feb 2 14:05:28 UTC 2016

On Tue, Feb 02, 2016 at 01:59:26PM +0100, Andrew Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 02, 2016 at 12:10:10PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> This actually doesn't matter for the v2 vs. v3 case. The gic-version property
> doesn't exist at all for v2-only QEMU. Although maybe the gic-version property
> should be reworked. Instead of gic-version=<highest-supported>, we could create
> one boolean property per version supported, i.e. gicv2, gicv3, gicv4...

> > > This sounds fine to me.
> > >
> > > However, not being familiar with the internals of libvirt I really can't
> > > just what the right implementation approach here is.
> > >
> > > As I understand we need to either:
> > >
> > >   1) Add a QMP command that lets you ask for -M virt, if GIC version X
> > >      is supported
> > >
> > >   2) Just implement something in libvirt that checks what the kernel
> > >      supports directly via the well-defined KVM interface and chooses
> > >      the highest supported version per default.
> > >
> > > To me it sounds like we should just go ahead with (2) and document
> > > somehwere that if you get an error, you need to either manually change
> > > the gic version setting in your VM definition file or upgrade QEMU.
> > >
> > > Can someone with libvirt authority please advice whether (1) or (2) is
> > > what we need to do?
> >
> > IMHO we should just go for 2.
>
> I'm not familiar enough with libvirt, nor the use of QMP, to really argue
> one way or another, but I find it a bit strange that we'd prefer libvirt
> to query two entities over one. And, why should the libvirt installed on
> a particular host prefer gicv3 as the default, just because KVM supports
> it, even when QEMU does not?

I think the assumption here is that if you install a recent libvirt you
also install a recent QEMU.  You always have the risk of things not
working if you have too old a QEMU, right?

> The default will fail every time until QEMU
> is upgraded, which may not be necessary/desired. Finally, I thought we
> were trying to get away from relying on QEMU's error messages to make any
> sort of decisions.

This I have no idea, if libvirt wants to go in the direction of doing
anything humanly possible to avoid QEMU errors, then (2) is probably not
the right approach.

On the other hand, there's always the possibility that something fails,
so you probably always have to deal with QEMU's errors.  I don't think
anyone here suggested that libvirt should try to run QEMU with
something, catch an error, and then run QEMU with other options, if
that's what you meant?

> I don't know what else libvirt queries directly from KVM, but IMO, it
> should be a long-term goal to stop doing it, not add to more. Besides
> libvirt then properly selecting defaults that both KVM and QEMU support,
> it would allow /dev/kvm to have QEMU-only selinux labels applied.

That's really for the libvirt community and maintainers to say, which
direction they're going in.

As I've tried to indicate before, we don't mind doing some work here as
a bunch of Linaro members care about this, but we just want to know from
the libvirt people what they want...?

Thanks,
-Christoffer