[libvirt] Dropping RHEL-6/CentOS-6 support

Andrea Bolognani abologna at redhat.com
Tue Feb 9 12:24:16 UTC 2016

On Tue, 2016-02-09 at 12:07 +0100, Michal Privoznik wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I've noticed a failed build on CentOS-6 after some commits. Problem was
> that old gcc is not wise enough and produces a false positive. I've
> proposed a patch for that [1] but honestly, neither am I - like Peter -
> very fond of this approach. We should not try to fix a good code because
> of some spurious warnings. Moreover if they happen on a system that is
> considered stable and thus nobody should run recent libvirt on it.
>
> In RHEL-6/CentOS-6 there's libvirt-0.10.2 which is 3.5 years old now.
>
> I'm starting this thread so that the decision and discussion is clear
> and not buried under discussion to the patch.
>
> If we happen to stop caring we probably should stop our CentOS-6 build
> in jenkins too [2].

My two Czech crowns: as far as upstream development goes, we should
really only focus on supporting current OSs (eg. RHEL 7, Debian 8,
Ubuntu 14.04, FreeBSD 10.2).

Older OSs will be sticking to an old version of libvirt anyway, and
the respective vendors will take care of backporting security fixes.

This transitively applies to QEMU as well - once we drop support
for CentOS 6 we should also drop support for any QEMU version that
doesn't support CentOS 6.

Cheers.

--
Andrea Bolognani