[libvirt] Dropping RHEL-6/CentOS-6 support

Jiri Denemark jdenemar at redhat.com
Tue Feb 9 12:49:58 UTC 2016

On Tue, Feb 09, 2016 at 13:24:16 +0100, Andrea Bolognani wrote:
> On Tue, 2016-02-09 at 12:07 +0100, Michal Privoznik wrote:
> > Dear list,
>> > I've noticed a failed build on CentOS-6 after some commits. Problem was
> > that old gcc is not wise enough and produces a false positive. I've
> > proposed a patch for that [1] but honestly, neither am I - like Peter -
> > very fond of this approach. We should not try to fix a good code because
> > of some spurious warnings. Moreover if they happen on a system that is
> > considered stable and thus nobody should run recent libvirt on it.
>> > In RHEL-6/CentOS-6 there's libvirt-0.10.2 which is 3.5 years old now.
>> > I'm starting this thread so that the decision and discussion is clear
> > and not buried under discussion to the patch.
>> > If we happen to stop caring we probably should stop our CentOS-6 build
> > in jenkins too [2].
>
> My two Czech crowns: as far as upstream development goes, we should
> really only focus on supporting current OSs (eg. RHEL 7, Debian 8,
> Ubuntu 14.04, FreeBSD 10.2).
>
> Older OSs will be sticking to an old version of libvirt anyway, and
> the respective vendors will take care of backporting security fixes.
>
> This transitively applies to QEMU as well - once we drop support
> for CentOS 6 we should also drop support for any QEMU version that
> doesn't support CentOS 6.

TO be honest, I would be thrilled to see any support for QEMU < 1.2.0
going away, since we force QMP probing on anything newer and we could
just drop all -help parsing and most of HMP support (except for a few
commands which don't have QMP equivalents).

QEMU 1.2.0 is

tag v1.2.0
Tagger:     Anthony Liguori <aliguori at us.ibm.com>
TaggerDate: Wed Sep 5 07:50:34 2012 -0500

which means 3.5 years ago.

Jirka