[libvirt] Dropping RHEL-6/CentOS-6 support

Andrea Bolognani abologna at redhat.com
Tue Feb 9 15:19:48 UTC 2016

On Tue, 2016-02-09 at 14:18 +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > The above is to point out that users of Centos 6 usually won't compile
> > libvirt and qemu from sources since they want to enjoy benefits of a
> > stable platform with tested software. Sticking upstream versions on top
> > of that defies the purpose.
>
> NB, RHEL is not the only distro we target - when I say we should target
> RHEL-6 as the oldest platform, I use that mostly as an example of the
> approximate vintage. I would consider any still supported Debian version
> that is the same age as RHEL-6 to be a valid platform too, likeise for
> Ubuntu LTS releases or SLES. At least some of those will using fairly
> vanilla QEMU version without feature backports.

Do you mean SLES 11, RHEL 6 or Ubuntu 12.04 are likely to get the
latest upstream libvirt release as a vendor update?

I tend to agree with Peter when he says that people stick with older
versions of software because they have a working setup and don't want
to risk it breaking, and replacing vendor-provided system components
with manually compiled upstream releases kinda goes in the opposite
direction :) I would definitely never have risked anything like that
in my previous life as a system administrator.

And of course we want to support way more than just RHEL and related
distros: this is about making the support shallower, not narrower :)

Cheers.

--
Andrea Bolognani
Software Engineer - Virtualization Team