[libvirt] Dropping RHEL-6/CentOS-6 support

Andrea Bolognani abologna at redhat.com
Tue Feb 9 15:51:31 UTC 2016

On Tue, 2016-02-09 at 15:24 +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > I tend to agree with Peter when he says that people stick with older
> > versions of software because they have a working setup and don't want
> > to risk it breaking, and replacing vendor-provided system components
> > with manually compiled upstream releases kinda goes in the opposite
> > direction :) I would definitely never have risked anything like that
> > in my previous life as a system administrator.
>
> For OpenStack, users are indeed updating core bits of the base OS to
> newer versions. It is also not neccessarily the users who are supplying
> the newer versions. For example, a vendor supplying software that extends
> RHEL, may choose to replace some bits of the core OS & support them.
> For example, Red Hat actually do this with their OpenStack product, where
> we have shipped newer versions of qemu + libvirt than were actually
> present in the base RHEL we deplkoyed openstack on. I know other OpenStack
> vendors do similarly, particularly with Ubuntu LTS releases there is an
> add-on cloud-archive repository providing newer versions of libvirt and
> QEMU.

I was not aware this was common practice, and I stand corrected.

Still I'm left wondering what constraints could cause such a
downstream vendor, whose software apparently requires very recent
version of QEMU and libvirt in order to work, to base its product
on eg. Ubuntu 12.04 instead of 14.04...

Thank you for taking the time to engage in this discussion, it's
been quite informative :)

Cheers.

--
Andrea Bolognani