[libvirt] Trying to debug "Received unexpected event 3" from libvirt

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Sat Jan 16 17:28:51 UTC 2016

On 16.01.2016 18:02, Yaniv Kaul wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 9:37 AM, Michal Privoznik <mprivozn at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 14.01.2016 19:51, Yaniv Kaul wrote:

>>> <snip/>
>>> Attached and tested. I can't post it properly, as the git is a bit
>> 'dirty'
>>> with some po files that I can't clean:
>>>
>>> On branch workbranch
>>> Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
>>> Changes not staged for commit:
>>>   (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
>>>   (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working
>> directory)
>>>
>>>         modified:   po/ar.po
>>>         modified:   po/as.po
>>>         modified:   po/bg.po
>>>         modified:   po/bn.po
>>>         modified:   po/bn_IN.po
>>>         modified:   po/bs.po
>>>         modified:   po/ca.po
>>>         modified:   po/cs.po
>>>         modified:   po/cy.po
>>>         modified:   po/da.po
>>>         modified:   po/de.po
>>>         modified:   po/el.po
>>>         modified:   po/en_GB.po
>>>         modified:   po/es.po
>>>         modified:   po/et.po
>>>         modified:   po/fi.po
>>>         modified:   po/fr.po
>>>         modified:   po/gl.po
>>>         modified:   po/gu.po
>>>         modified:   po/he.po
>>>         modified:   po/hi.po
>>

>> I guess you were doing 'make dist' or 'make rpm'. Both of them result in
>> generating of translation strings. Anyway, you can just drop them and
>> have clean working tree: git checkout po/
>>

> Indeed, I've used 'make rpm', as I could not get 'sudo make install'
> correctly install libvirt on my Fedora - failed to get the right
> directories set in the './configure' script.
> I wish it would have auto-detected Fedora and used the right defaults.

I don't think this is desirable. Not everybody wants to have hand built
software overwriting files belonging to an installed package. Therefore
the default is to install under /usr/local. I think it's a common practice.

> After failing to do so normally, I went and look again into libvirt.org -
> where I failed to find 'how to contribute' document.

Ah, sorry to hear that. But on the other hand, yes - our documentation
could use some tuning.

> Only today I've found http://libvirt.org/compiling.html - which has a hint
> to use ''--system' to autogen.sh - perhaps it should be on by default?
>
> That's part of a bigger problem - no 'how to contribute' section that
> easily found on the site. Using search, I've found first hit to an email
> archived[1] which pointed me to [2] - which is the right document, probably
> in the wrong place (under internals?). And that one didn't have the hint
> above...

If you want, you can propose a patch on that too. Our site is generated
from the repo. So if you build docs:

  libvirt.git $ make -C docs

you will find index.hml there, which is built from index.html.in. Same
applies for compiling.html and every other *.html file there. So
proposing a docs improvement should be easy. I'm glad to help.

> [1] http://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2014-April/msg00004.html
> [2] http://libvirt.org/hacking.html
>

>> <snip/>
>>
>> ACKed and pushed. I've committed the patch under your name. I hope
>> that's okay with you.
>>

> Yes, much appreciated - tried to send the patch but perhaps it doesn't work
> easily via GMail.

The best way to send patches is to not use MTA at all rather than git
send-email:

  libvirt.git $ git format-patch -4
  libvirt.git $ git send-email 000*

or shortened: