[libvirt] linux guest time synchronization

John L. Magee jlmagee at mageenet.net
Wed Jul 13 13:01:28 UTC 2016

We have recently updated some servers to CentOS 7 qemu kvm hosts and have been replacing older CentOS 5 and 6 guests with new CentOS 7 guests.  Somehow, I thought we no longer had to run NTP/Chrony on the guests if we had the proper timer configuration. It turns out that the guest hwclock stays up to date with the host, where we are running Chrony, but the guest system time is drifting significantly.  Is there no way to keep guest system time synchronized to the hwclock?  It seems like a waste of resources to run Chrony on all the guests.

Please redirect me to the correct group if this is not the right one. Thanks in advance.

John L Magee jlmagee at mageenet.net<mailto:jlmagee at mageenet.net>