[libvirt] [Bug] make check fails when LIBVIRT_DEBUG is defined

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Mon Jun 27 11:23:46 UTC 2016

On 27.06.2016 10:05, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 04:32:21PM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
>> [moderator note: the mail server balked at 1.3 megabytes of attachments,
>> so I've stripped them in my reply]
>>
>> On 12/31/1969 05:00 PM,  wrote:
>>> Hello everybody,
>>>
>>> I set up a clean libvirt repo with:
>>> git clone
>>> ./autogen.sh
>>> make -j5
>>>
>>> and then executed tests with various values of LIBVIRT_DEBUG using
>>> the following command:
>>> LIBVIRT_DEBUG=0…5 VIR_TEST_DEBUG=1 make check
>>>
>>> The logs are in this mail's attachments.
>>>

>>> With LIBVIRT_DEBUG=0 (or =5 or probably any invalid value), the logs say:
>>> "Ignoring invalid log level setting”
>>> but still, 10 tests fail due to various reasons.
>>>
>>> With LIBVIRT_DEBUG=1, there is a slight difference. The number of tests
>>> that fail is also 10, but here, commandtest fails instead of eventtest.
>>>
>>> With LIBVIRT_DEBUG=2, only 9 tests fail, because commandtest passes.
>>>
>>> With LIBVIRT_DEBUG=3, only 1 test fails: qemuargv2xmltest. The
>>> reason is the same as in the previous tests.
>>>
>>> With LIBVIRT_DEBUG=4, it’s just qemuargv2xmltest that is failing,
>>> but for a different reason than before:
>>> "qemuParseCommandLineString should have logged a warning”.
>>>

>>> Perhaps it’s okay that these tests fail, but still there's no harm
>>> in letting people know.
>>>
>>> Thank you rbogorodskiy for guidance on the mailing list :)
>>>
>>> Have a nice day,
>>> Tomasz
>>>

>> I don't know that anyone ever expected the testsuite to work with
>> LIBVIRT_DEBUG set to anything (because turning on debug can change
>> output of libvirt itself).  Things are different with VIR_TEST_DEBUG,
>
> I'd certainly expect the test suite to pass 100% no matter what the
> debug level is set to. Debug logging should not have a functional
> effect on our code, besides outputting the log messages.

That's not 100% true. If we enable the debug messages, those are printed
to stdout. Now we have some tests that expect certain output or some
exact message to be logged. If we enable debug logs, the outputs are
poisoned and don't match the expected values.
I'd say this is a weakness of our test suite, not actual libvirt code.

Michal