[libvirt] Request for testing: migration of libvirt wiki site

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Wed Mar 23 10:44:32 UTC 2016

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 12:06:12PM +0200, Yaniv Kaul wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 11:57 AM, Kashyap Chamarthy <kchamart at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 09:46:56AM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > > On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 05:47:31AM +0100, Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > >
> > > That seems to completely defeat the point of having a wiki. We already
> > > have a static website maintained in GIT and get essentially zero end
> > > user contributions to it. A wiki is intended to be quick & easy for
> > > people to just directly create content without having to learn any
> > > tools or process beyond their web browser
> >
> > Fair enough.  Taking myself as an example, I have written/edited a few
> > libvirt wiki pages than touching in the in-tree docs.  I anticipated
> > you'd say this (about having an easy way to quickly write a doc).
> >

> Apparently Github pull requests and editing in Markdown are the new thing,
> and people somehow find it usable.
> It also brings them somehow closer to development, having to enjoy the
> finesse of working with Git, etc...

Yeah, that's what I've heard so in other projects.  At least, I see RDO
community folks seem to be happy with this approach.

> The main advantage is that their is review to the content being edited
> proactively.

I agree.  In a Wiki, while it makes it easier to add new content, it's
also trivial to add misleading info with no proper review.

FWIW, for Mediawiki, I locally just write in Markdown, and convert it to
Mediawiki syntax via `pandoc`:

    $ pandoc -f markdown -t Mediawiki foo.md -o foo.wiki

--
/kashyap